Tuesday, October 20, 2015

This Is What Is Wrong with US.

Let me start off this blog post today with this;
We live in an awesome generation.

Overall, as a society, I truly believe that we are becoming more accepting of one another.

Technology spoils us; honestly, we are blessed to live in a time of such convenience. 

We are allowed the chance at such a beautiful life; we have more freedoms and opportunities and choices to make than ever before.

And it is, really, awesome.

But, what really has been eating me up, is the disadvantages that we bring upon ourselves.

I'm talking to YOU!

I saw a riveting post recently that claimed that women (and I will say I also believe this is applicable to men) today are literally judged and labeled for just about EVERY thing they do. Interests, hobbies, their recreational activity choices, career choice, what they eat, who they're dating, how much they talk about politics, what they listen to, what they wear, the amount of make up on their face (!!). 

I would like to shed some light on this situation. I know that there are people out there that can relate to me... I also know too, too many people that are contributing to this issue.

I ask, please, have an open mind and open heart. This is not aiming to offend anyone, in fact, if anything, I am trying, begging, pleading, for our generation to learn to accept and love; free of judgement.

I touch often on the topic of relationships; and this ties in to a tee. The vast majority of my "adult" life, I have been dubbed the "relationship" girl. I won't deny it. I find the most happiness when I am involved in a loving relationship. I have exceptional nurturing qualities- I like being there for someone. It's natural, it's innate, and quite frankly, I don't see this as a negative thing. Yet, so many times people have spoken with me about this and given me a negative judgment because of it. 
"You can't be alone" "You must not be happy with yourself" "You attach too easy" "You don't go out and have fun"

I flip the script and find myself single; I try 'dating' and just figure out myself and what I want, and again, people find a new label.
"You party too much" "Stuck-up" "Self-Absorbed" 


WHAT.

What I need for you to realize is that there is no winning with everyone.
That's just a hard truth, and I am not too naive to realize that I can't make everyone happy. I get it.
BAM. This quote nails it.

What I am asking is that we pull the reigns a little looser on how we view and judge others.

What really, seriously blows me away is when I learn that people have negative feelings towards me or are able to say in conversations with others  "I don't like her" when they have never even met me or had an actual conversation with me. It happens more times than I care to think about. 
blows. me. away.

People are more than their physical appearance or a story that you've heard or the person they dated or the fact that they like pumpkin spice lattes.

People are the experiences they have lived. The emotions, the feelings, the tears. They are the way they look first thing in the morning with reality hits them. They are the way they feel when they're staring up at the stars and feeling small in a huge universe. People are their heartaches. The pain they've been through. The scars that burn deep inside them that they fight every day to heal just a little more. They are the way they love the people around them. The way they sacrifice for others. They are the work ethic that gets them through the day. They are their favorite song; and what it means to them. They are their losses, their flaws, the times they messed up. But they are also their victories, their improvements, the way that they laugh.

People are NOT definable by labels.
And when you incorrectly or prematurely label someone negatively, you're not doing yourself any favors.
If anything, you're hurting yourself. You are potentially missing out on a friendship.

Above that, you're harboring negative, ugly feelings that can do nothing more than dull your own internal sparkle.

Oh, and by the way, I am absolutely not professing to be perfect in this regard. I can attest to the negativity that this can inflict on yourself because I have lived it.
But, it has been one of my major goals in my character to cease this  behavior.

Look, we all go through enough as it is. 
Life is not easy.

We each have too many burdens and tragedies and bad things going on to intentionally hurt one another with our words.

On that note, I'm assuming most people find my blog through my Facebook:
If you're struggling through anything and need someone to talk to or need a laugh or a funny meme, message me. I want to help in anyway I can. Regardless of what the past may have held for us.

I'm looking out for you, kiddos.
Let's make this crazy word a little bit better.

xoxox.
-Ruthie










1 comment: